Lights, Sanding, Action … (or not).

This last week was nothing fancy.

WP_20150210_10_26_28_ProStarting off with working on the ’54 Belvedere again. The transmission wasn’t shifting from the first shift fork, Reverse & First to the second shift fork, Second and Third. To investigate the issue, we unbolted the transmission from the bell housing, placed it on a work bench and took the cover off. When shifting the gears manually on a bench they seemed to work fine. After pondering and conferring, we determined that there was just so much slop in the linkage, that there was not enough leverage to pull the second shift fork over. Great. Easy street right? Wrong. When we tried to put the transmission back in, it would not go in. We removed the bell housing  to see if it would just slide in, without going blind. No bueno. It turns out that the pilot bushing was bad, so right now we are on the lookout for a correct one. I’ve called a few parts suppliers and whenever I mention HyDrive, they shudder and say that they do not have that. Oh yeah, that is part of class. Finding parts. Its an adventure, but if I intend to do this for the rest of my life, I gotta learn the ropes now and finding parts is HUGE. Needless to say just the word HyDrive make most suppliers deaf.

WP_20150210_13_04_35_ProDSC_0022In Paint class, known as Sanding 101 among some of the students, is mainly that. I’m not complaining about that, because I know that it is a vital part of the painting process. The good news is that I finished working on the motorcycle fender and am now working on the beetle. My current task is to sand the rear quarter area on the driver side. I only was able to work on it for about 15 minutes on Thursday, but hope to have that area completely to bare metal by the end of the week. If I recall correctly Mr. Green, the professor who most people know as Garrick, wants to have the beetle ready for primer in two weeks. While working on the motorcycle fender I was taking some sandpaper and wet sanding it slowly by hand, it was nice to get some power tools on the bug.

V__5275[1] V__2C60[1]In Photography II I had to do some experimenting with with light and positioning them in different places. The assignment was to do so with a tea cup and saucer, then branch out with some personal items, being less than 12″, less than 24″, and greater than 24″.  I ended up doing a little 32 Ford Coupe my sister had given me, one of my fedoras, & my bicycle. It was actually hard to find something that was over 24″ tall that wasn’t terribly big and easy to carry around, because I have a bunch of truck parts that fit the description but they are a little bit bulky. The bicycle one’s didn’t come out so neat, but the coupe and the hat had a few nifty ones. I’ll be doing the same thing this week, but with two lights in the set, as opposed to just one. We will see how that works out.

Also , in my free time, I have been working on some picture frames , for a certain someone, and they actually came out pretty nice.  I was able to use my woodworking skills from last semester to personalize a special gift. I am pretty happy with how they turned out.

WP_20150210_11_37_09_Pro WP_20150209_14_39_29_Pro

Advertisements

About mecklin21

I'm a Southern California kid who ended up in the middle of McPherson Kansas pursuing a degree in Automotive Restoration at McPherson College. I own a 1940 Plymouth Pickup, which I am restoring, and enjoy adventures, writing, & photography.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s